Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Banner

The banner you see on top is my own creation using my very novice Photoshop skills.

From Left to Right:

Ernie Davis, Syracuse's only Heisman Trophy winner wearing the trademark '44' jersey which Syracuse used to give to only an elite group of Running Backs before throwing away the tradition and any kind of recruiting leverage it could have had by retiring the number in 2005. Syracuse is my alma mater and I will write my first team post about SU before focusing on programs in college football which are actually relevant.

Script Ohio, Ohio State's classic ritual of it's "Best Damn Band in the Land" to spell out "Ohio" with a tuba player dotting the i. Ohio State is my brother's alma mater, he invites me once a year to Columbus to watch REAL college football. It is only the school I know of where the band members have a decent chance of getting laid. Traditions like this are part of the "Pageantry" that lures me to college football as much as the game itself.

Florida Quarterback Chris Leak holding the BCS National Championship Trophy, this one hurts my brother and hurts me too but Florida is the king of our mountain going into 2007. The controversial system which the trophy Leak is holding up represents is always on the mind of anyone who covers college football and rightly belongs in the center of everything.

Georgia Quarterback Matthew Stafford holding an Empty Keg as if it WAS the National Championship Trophy, some may take this to represent the difference in goals between the Gators and the Bulldogs. That is unintentional. This mildly controversial picture of Stafford represents the sort of harmless and humorous news that will come on this blog from time to time providing amusement to all fans nationwide.

Ian Johnson taking the Statue of Liberty to Beat Oklahoma, the end to the Greatest College Football Game of All-Time. Yes, I'll say it. Not just for the trick plays and miracle comeback but for what it represented. The endless possibilities that arise every Thursday or Saturday when two teams representing universities get together.

No comments: